Friday, May 30, 2014

Traditional Farmhouses in Tono Furusato Village

With only a couple of hours of [uncomfortable] sleep in the bus the night before and having to walk around Otsuchi town under the summer heat the whole day, naturally, everyone was tired as heck. All I wanted was to rest!

But darn, I could not sleep immediately because I was too giddy about the place where we were staying.

Tono Furusato Mura is a farming village in Tono City, Iwate Prefecture. It has three farmhouses where guests can stay. There is a main hall with a restaurant, a library, and a souvenir shop. I think they also hold workshops there in the village. They also have a number of facilities which we weren't able to visit because of time constraint.

IMG_1510

IMG_1476

Above is the farmhouse where the ladies stayed. Being there I felt like I was transported somewhere else-- like in a Rurouni Kenshin episode, maybe? Lol. To be honest, I never imagined that it was possible for me to experience staying in such a lovely place even if it was just for a night. It was really amazing. (And I felt like everything I spent going to Japan for that program was totally worth it.)

IMG_1477
Looks like the workshop or stabling area inside the farmhouse

IMG_1478
Tatami room!

IMG_1503
Paper doors

IMG_1504

IMG_1506
Fireplace

IMG_1486

We had dinner first and the went to the (gasp!) public bath. But that's another story for later haha!

IMG_1492
Dinner yummmm

IMG_1496
Super refreshing morning view from where I slept (Oh, we slept in futons, by the way!)

IMG_1513

IMG_1515

IMG_1516

IMG_1519

IMG_1520

I don't know if I will ever be able to return to Tono. I'm just thankful to TISP for giving us this amazing experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment