Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Intensity That Was 2013

2013: most intense year of my life to date, I would say. It's the year when life had me thrown around (both literally and figuratively).

It started with my grandmother's passing, then an issue with a person I used to date and then a failure to attain that goal which I had worked so hard for. Triple kill during the first month of the year.

I resigned from my teaching job, my first job. I quit graduate studies. I got recruited into a new job in a different industry. I am now a developer for a startup software and web development company.


I went to Baguio, Kuala Lumpur, Nepal, Hong Kong, Macau and Siem Reap.

breakfast with friends at 50's Diner in Baguio

a 10-hour stopover in KL allowed me to visit the Petronas Towers

at Bhaktapur Durbar Square in Kathmandu, Nepal

the Hong Kong skyline

at The Venetian Macau

at a wall near Baphuon in Angkor Thom, Siem Reap, Cambodia

I went beach camping in Nagsasa Cove in Zambales with three of my co-participants from last year's Summer Course (including Rachel who came all the way from Texas!)

Nagsasa Cove with friends from SC2012

I got hit by a car while crossing C.P. Garcia Street. I was in the hospital for two days. I suffered a concussion, bruises, wounds, a sprain and a nasal fracture which required a surgery. It was my first surgery (if you don't count a wisdom tooth extraction).

First journal publication, co-authored with my SC2012 teammates.


I went to Japan for a summer program hosted by The University of Tokyo, which I initially didn't think I'd be accepted into. There I met a bunch of really smart people from all over the world. I had time to hangout with my American friend Rachel again (in Kamakura, this time). I visited Filipino friends Ma'am Cherry and Kyle. I bought a yukata and learned how to wear one by myself. I did a homestay program in Tono City, Iwate Prefecture (for one night lol). I also went to the public bath not once, not twice but three times! Woot!

I met amazing people at The University of Tokyo's summer program
photo taken from my Indonesian classmate Ita

I had a lot of difficult moments. I cried many times. There were days when I thought I couldn't handle things any more... but I didn't give up. And now, despite everything, I feel that there's a lot to be thankful for.

Dear 2014, please be kind to me. (And please, dental braces be gone this year!)

1 comment:

  1. WOW lang sa 2013 mo Claire! The ups and downs are quite extremes, some kind of turning point year.

    I hope for an awesome 2014 for you Claiiiire!! :)

    ReplyDelete