Friday, December 13, 2013

Cooking Khmer-style

When I was in Siem Reap, I enrolled myself to a Cambodian cooking class at Le Tigre de Papier restaurant in Pub Street. It was only $13.00 for a four-hour class that includes making your choice of appetizer, main entree and dessert. You also get to eat everything you cook after the class. Super worth it!



Before starting, our teacher Sam-An took us to the old market (which is very close to Pub Street). It practically looks the same as the wet markets here in the Philippines so it was not very new to me. It was interesting, though, seeing my American classmate Jen's reactions when she saw certain foodstuffs for the first time.



For the appetizer, I chose to make Cambodian green mango salad.

dressing for the Cambodian green mango salad


For the main entree, I made shrimp amok. Did I ever mention how much I like Cambodian amok? It's basically like curry with coconut milk. The interesting thing about the amok I made in this cooking class is that I did not use curry or amok powder. The spices used (galanggal, finger root, turmeric, etc.) were fresh! The turmeric actually left my fingers with a yellow-orange color for a day lol.


For dessert, we had mango sticky rice. It's basically a Cambodian version of the Filipino biko topped with mango slices.

Top: my classmate Jen made pumpkin soup and chicken curry
Right: the mango sticky rice

Writing this post makes me crave for Cambodian food!

No comments:

Post a Comment