Sunday, July 26, 2015

Fandom-Driven Tokyo Adventures

This post recounts the last whole day of my 2013 trip to Japan in which Kyle and I went to Ebisu, Akihabara, and Tokyo Tower.

In the morning, we took the train to Shibuya and walked to Ebisu Garden Place. The only reason I wanted to go there is because it's one of the sets of Hana Yori Dango, one of my favorite Japanese drama series.

Domyouji and Tsukushi's meeting place for their first date.

This is where Domyouji and Tsukushi got married.

Actually, while walking to Ebisu, Kyle noticed this Baby The Stars Shine Bright store. It's one of the settings for the Japanese movie, Kamikaze Girls.


Afterwards, we went to Akihabara where we had lunch at the Gundam Cafe. I have been to Akihabara in 2012 but I didn't have the chance to dine at the Gundam Cafe.





After lunch, we went around the shops to buy some Gundam models for my brother and to buy a Kindle for myself.


Later on, we went to Tokyo Tower. 


I first learned about the existence of Tokyo Tower when I was in elementary school and watching Card Captor Sakura. It was used as a setting in that anime series a number of times. I guess visiting Tokyo Tower brought back childhood memories when I'd go home early and watch Card Captor Sakura in the afternoon. 

This is Zojoji Temple as seen from Tokyo Tower. It's one of the settings of the Wolverine movie!
I wish I had realized it was just nearby and I would have visited!

Odaiba as seen from Tokyo Tower.


At this point, I realized how fandom-driven my travels in Tokyo were. Two days prior, I went to Odaiba because of Gundam. One day prior, I went to Roppongi for Harry Potter. That day, I went around Tokyo for Hana Yori Dango, Gundam, and Card Captor Sakura and encountered Kamikaze Girls and Wolverine along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment