Sunday, October 20, 2013

Shivapuri-Nagarjun and My Bumpiest Ride Ever

After the Everest flight, I went back to the B&B and had breakfast. A couple of hours later, one of my travel companions asked me if I wanted to go with them to Shivapuri-Nagarjun National Park. The original plan for that day was to go to Swayambunath and Bouddhanath stupas and therefore going to Shivapuri-Nagarjun meant not going to one of the aforementioned stupas. I had wanted to go to both stupas but eventually decided to tag along (to Shivapuri-Nagarjun) as I didn't want to take the taxi alone in Kathmandu or be left in the B&B alone lol.


We hired a 4WD (a Toyota Land Cruiser) from the travel agency in front of the B&B for NPR 7500. Expensive, yes. However, I think the price would be more manageable if more people ride this big vehicle.

We also paid NPR250 (rate for foreigners) to enter the national park.

That's our ride, yo!

There were no paved roads, just a forest trail (that's why a 4WD was needed). It was the bumpiest ride I've ever experienced! It was impossible to take a nap during the more-than-one-hour-ride as we were practically thrown around inside the car haha. 


Finally, we arrived at the top. It was so windy! The sun was high up as it was almost noon but it was cold.


The stupa in Shivapuri-Nagarjun


We relaxed a little, enjoyed the view and waited for the clouds to part even just a bit.


Eventually, we got a little peek of the snow-capped mountains. Try to look between the clouds.


Of course the ride back down was another [bumpy] story. I say, if you're going to Nepal and will be going to Nagarkot or Pokhara, I don't think going to Shivapuri-Nagarjun for the view is required especially since it's very expensive to take the 4WD (our taxi ride to Nagarkot and back only cost 5500 for four people). Unless, of course, you're going to take a hike (which, I think, Shivapuri-Nagarjun is also known for). However, if you're stuck in Kathmandu but you want to see the mountains, since the ride to Shivapuri-Nagarjun only takes an hour or so from Kathmandu, it could be an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment