Saturday, January 18, 2014

One Off the Bucket List: Asagaya Tanabata Matsuri

"Attend a matsuri wearing a yukata". That's one of the things in my bucket list. Now, for the benefit of those who have yet to know, 'matsuri' is the Japanese word for 'festival' while a yukata is basically the casual version of the kimono and is usually worn during the summer.

Last August 7, after the TISP 2013 fieldwork (We visited two companies: Fuji Xerox in Roppongi and JR East in Shinjuku.), I went back to the dorm and wore the yukata I bought in Harajuku the weekend before. Yep, I dressed up on my own. With the help of Youtube and some practice on how to tie an obi (the belt), I was able to do it.

Got my yukata and obi for JPY~2700 (~USD27 or ~PhP1200)


I dressed up for the Asagaya Tanabata Matsuri. I took the trains (three trains actually) from the dorm to Asagaya shopping street looking like that! Seeing people wearing yukatas in the trains and streets of Japan is normal during the summer because there are many festivals. I didn't get stared at (not by the locals, at least). However, the rush hour made it a bit difficult. I was quite scared that my obi would get squished and fall apart haha. Also, it was a little difficult for me to walk because I cannot take my usual big strides while wearing a yukata.

Asagaya shopping street was FILLED with decorations

Orihime and Hikoboshi, perhaps?

Wishes are written on stars.

A lot of people were wearing yukatas!

Kids in yukata listening to the guy playing the flute

Goldfish scooping: one of the typical activities in a matsuri



My dinner: takoyaki!

Dango!
OOTN? Haha
One off the bucketlist!

No comments:

Post a Comment